Saturday, May 14, 2011

it's a bit of a mash up

when a band labels itself as "gothic / pop / shoegazer" you definitely wonder where all their influences came from and how that all added up to an LP release. I'm talking about Girls Names. ya, try googling that. It will tell you that apparently Isabella, Sophia, Olivia, Emma and Ava were the top five for 2010. what is slightly jarring about that mistaken discovery is...when I decided this year that if I have a daughter I'll name her Emma, I thought that was an original idea. Apparently, it's very 2010 and everyone else just thought of it much sooner than I. I'm blowing it. Anyway......... let's get back to Girls Names. They released Dead To Me on April 26th, 2011. They hail from Belfast and after taking a listen to the album, they caught me with a sound that I'd call Bauhaus meets Beach Boys. I KNOW...I KNOW...what a fucking mash up right? Trust me. Take a listen. I'm not insane. You'll see.



RIGHT HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment